Akron Children's Hospital is one of the largest independent pediatric hospitals in the U.S., and ranked among the best children's hospitals by U.S. News and World Report. Our dedicated staff serves nearly 900,000 patient visits per year through our 2 hospital campuses and a large network of locations offering primary and specialty care.
We are leading the way to healthier futures for children and communities through expert medical care, research, and prevention and wellness programs. As a teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University and other universities, we train new generations of pediatricians, specialists, nurses and pharmacists every year.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Shift Information: Variable
Var. Weekend 3 Shifts a month
The Mental Health Therapist will work in the Psychiatric Intake Response Center (PIRC), a 24/7 intake center, to triage and assess intake calls received from families and community referral sources. Duties Include:
- Conduct a preliminary diagnostic assessment over the telephone to assess the need for services for children & adolescents seeking psychiatric & psychological services
- Apply crisis intervention skills when indicated, and determine the need for a referral to the Emergency Department or a more suitable community agency
- Conduct face-to-face comprehensive diagnostic assessments in the Emergency Department in order to maximize continuity of care with the family
- Consult & collaborate with hospital and community professionals and programs in order to provide the most appropriate referral for the client and his/her family
- Provide competent social work clinical services to individuals, families, and community partners
- Develop and communicate an individualized treatment plan for patients including psycho-social interventions, referrals to other services, and recommendations for follow-up
- LISW with Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited program OR LPCC with a Master's Degree in Community or Rehabilitation Counseling from an accredited program
- Past clinical experience in child & adolescent diagnostic assessment required
- Experience in delivering crisis intervention highly preferred
- Must have strong listening and communication skills, and the ability to work well in an interdisciplinary setting as part of a highly active team
- Ability to establish rapport and work under time pressure is essential
- Computer skills are highly desirable
- Must be certified OR become certified within six months of hire date in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention by the Crisis Training Institute, or an equivalent program that addresses ways to de-escalate potentially violent incidents that may include physical interven
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities. EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: